Pollinator Party: A Celebration of Bees It’ll be a honey of a party
Have you heard the buzz? Honey bees and wild bees play a major role in the productivity of American agriculture through the pollination of fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
Join us for the 2014 Pollinator Party on Thursday, July 24 from 5 – 8 p.m. at Lyndale Park Gardens on the east side of Lake Harriet. The party will be on the open lawn just north of the Peace Garden. This event is free. Enjoy a picnic in the park – food and beverage will be available for purchase from La Loma Tomales.
The Pollinator Party brings together bees, scientists, beekeepers, food, and live music. This annual event also provides an opportunity for people of all ages to celebrate the life and work of honey bees and native bees.
At dusk, enjoy the Disney movie “Wings of Life” which offers an intimate and unprecedented look at butterflies, hummingbirds, bees, bats and flowers.
- Learn about honey bees and urban bee keeping
- Discover the life cycles of honey bees and wild bees – and sample Minnesota honey
- Mother Earth Gardens will be on hand with native plants and information about making your own backyard bee-hospitable.
- Earn a cone of ice-cream made with honey
- Discover the wild bees of the park – help catch, identify, and release bees
- Engage in Art in the Park with the Minneapolis Institute of Arts
- Meet Elena Hoffman, the 2014 American Honey Princess
- Make seed bombs with Eggplant Urban Farm Supply
- Learn about native bee nests with the Xerces Society
- Get arty with Bee Swell
- Learn about skin care from bee products with Worker B
- Book signing for “Pollinators of Native Plants” with author Heather Holm
- Learn about monarchs with Monarch Joint Venture
- Get honey recipes from MN Honey Company
- Play the pollination game with the MN DNR’s Biological Survey
- Learn how to protect bees and other beneficial insects with Pollinator Revival
- Listen to live music from: Pop Wagner, Dreamland Faces and the Brass Messengers
Event partners include the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, University of Minnesota Bee Lab and Bee Squad, the Bell Museum and the Beez Kneez.
The 2014 Pollinator Party is sponsored by sponsored by KFAI 90.3 Fresh Air Radio.